Chicken Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers
By: Trainer Julie
Eating healthy is hard when there is food like cheese steaks in the world, but recipes like this one make eating healthy a little easier. This recipe is low carb and full of protein. The cheese steak roll is replaced by a bell pepper. If you prefer beef instead of chicken, it is easily substitutable.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lbs sliced chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 4 bell peppers, cut in half with seeds removed
- 4 slices provolone cheese, reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and the chicken and cook until browned. Stir in the salt, cayenne, and Balsamic.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the core and seeds. Fill the peppers with the chicken mixture and lay in a baking dish. Add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of the dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the cover and top each bell pepper half with a half slice of provolone. Put back in the oven uncovered, and bake until cheese is browned and bubbly, 5-10 more minutes.
- Makes 4 servings (1 whole or 2 half peppers/serving)
- Calories – 320cal
- Carbs – 8.5g
- Fat – 15.3g
- Protein – 42g
Get creative and try substituting other carb-heavy items with bell peppers. I also really enjoy taco stuffed peppers or chicken parm stuffed peppers!
(This recipe was modified from a recipe I found on Pinterest via yummly.com.)