Grab-and-Go Breakfast Burritos
By Trainer Sarah
It’s 7:35AM, the kids are rushing out the door to catch the bus, and you’re buzzing around the kitchen searching for something other than cereal for breakfast. You check the fridge and decide against cold pizza (because neither you nor your stomach are 18 anymore) and you settle grudgingly for a wrinkly apple. “It’s a healthy choice at least”, you think to yourself as you bite into the unappealingly soft skin. Bleh! By the time lunch rolls around, you’re starving! Not just ‘nibble on a salad’ munchies, no, you’re about ready to raid the vending machine on your way the cafeteria where visions of pasta, hamburgers, and fries dance before your hungry eyes. As you speed walk towards the break room you think to yourself, “There has got to be a better way to start my mornings!”.
If this is you (and even if it isn’t) the below recipe will not only satisfy your taste buds, but it will also supply you with a hearty, healthy, and happy way to begin each weekday!
1 lb. Ground Meat (Turkey, Chicken, or Beef)
15 oz. Canned Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
5 Eggs, Whole
4 oz. Colby Jack Cheese
1 tsp. Taco Seasoning
5 Plain Tortillas
- Brown and drain meat of choice (I us
- ed 93% lean ground turkey)
- Rinse and drain black beans, then add to meat
- Scramble eggs in a pan until just done
- Place plastic wrap on the countertop with an awaiting tortilla
- Once all components are prepared, continue to step 6
- Place 1/5 of the meat/beans and 1/5 of the eggs onto the tortilla
- Sprinkle with cheese and seasoning
- Carefully bundle the tortilla in burrito fashion and wrap tightly with the plastic wrap
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and place into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag
- Place in the fridge until you’re ready to warm up in the microwave and eat on the go for breakfast or lunch!
MACROS: Carbs 40g, Fat 20g, Protein 33g
NUTRIENTS: 7g Fiber, 19% Calcium, 25% Iron, 7% Vitamin A, 310mg Potassium