Harvest Pumpkin Muffin Recipe – By Sarah Breyer
Let’s talk breakfast – most people either love it or skip it completely. We hear from health magazines that it’s “the most important meal of the day”, but for some, it’s a chore that requires planning and effort. Enter – Harvest Pumpkin Muffins! These little bites of deliciousness pack a healthy dose of carbs, a bit of protein, a small amount of fats from whole food sources, vitamin A, fiber, and a touch of sweetness. With the added bonus of lasting the entire week (when stored in the fridge), and warming up beautifully in the microwave, it’s the perfect motivation to rise and shine!
If you are like me, you already have your Pumpkin Pie Spice on hand. If not, that’s okay! Below is the recipe to make your own Pumpkin Spice Blend:
3 Tbs. Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp. Ground Ginger
2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1 ½ tsp. Ground Allspice
1 ½ tsp. Ground Cloves
Simply whisk all spices together, and from that blend use 2 teaspoons in the following recipe.
1 C. Organic White Flour
¼ C. Organic Wheat Bran
2 tsp. Pumpkin Spice Blend
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 C. Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
¼ C. Egg Whites
½ C. Brown Sugar
½ C. Pumpkin Puree
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 C. Dried Dates, Chopped
1. C. Walnuts, Chopped
1. Whisk flours, bran, spices, soda, powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Blend yogurt, egg whites, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
3. Pour contents of medium bowl into large bowl, and str gently just until combined.
4. While oven preheats to 350° distribute the batter evenly in oiled muffin tin.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes, cool for 5 minutes then enjoy!